Friday, October 30, 2020

Troubles in Paradise

 This is the conclusion of the trilogy by Elin Hilderbrand.   I enjoyed the book, just not as much as the first 2 in the series.  I felt as though there were unnecessary characters included in the story.  Specifically Margaret Quinn.   I also did not enjoy the addition of the Island of St. John, the community, as a narrator of the story.   This installment felt like the timeline kept jumping backward as the voice changed.  It wasn't always clear where in time the action and events were taking place.  I do prefer to have clear chronological logic to books when I read them.  

I did enjoy the book on the whole and was never tempted to DNF the book.   I just didn't feel it was as compelling and engaging as the first 2 books in the series.  You can find my reviews of Winter in Paradise, book 1, and What Happens in Paradise on this blog as well.  If you are looking for a light read that will remind you of warm vacation climates then this is a perfect book to pick up and read over the winter months.


Troubles in ParadiseTroubles in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand
My rating: 3 of 5 stars 

While I enjoyed this third book in the series I just didn’t love it as much as the first two. I didn’t care for the added narrator of St John. I also felt a bit like the romantic relationships were a bit too predictable but then they were the centerpiece of the drama and emotional draw of the book. I guess the most disappointing pet was the ending. The whole existence on Margaret Quinn felt unnecessary to me. I did like the parallel comparison between Irene and St John ( the island and the people) at the end and it did give the story a bit of depth or thoughtfulness that otherwise might have been missed. All in all I thought the story was good. Not great. 

View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge -  Book #119
  2. 2020 TBR  #2020TBRReadingChallenge #18- book trilogy

No comments:

Post a Comment