Saturday, October 3, 2020

Crime and Poetry

 

This book is the first in a series by Amanda Flower.  I had not previously read any of her magical bookshop series and wasn't sure if I would like it as I am not always a big paranormal cozy reader.  I have previously read and enjoyed her Amish candy shop series.  This book is based upon the concept that the waters of the spring in Cascade Springs, NY hold special powers.  It was a interesting underlying concept that was carried out well across several aspects of the book.  There is a nod toward the Native American beliefs that the waters hold special powers and this is alluded to by the town Police Chief as part of his heritage.   Additionally, the town actually has a reputation for tourism based on the spring water that is sold by a company based there.  This is an area of upstate NY next to the Niagara Falls and there are some beautiful descriptions of those Falls as well as the countryside in the area surrounding Cascade Springs.  


I ended up enjoying the book and look forward to reading more in this series by Amanda Flower.  

Crime and PoetryCrime and Poetry by Amanda Flower
My rating: 3 of 5 stars 

This cozy took a bit of getting into for me, once i got through the first few chapters it captured my attention but before that I found myself putting it down to chose another book. Once I started reading it though I really enjoyed the book. The mystery was well laid out and there were a few clues that lead you to figure out who was guilty before it was revealed but it wasn't obvious. Flower kept you guessing between different suspects and there was a good twist at the end. The mystical component of the book is important but not extreme so if you don't generally chose paranormal I would say this is a good book to read to see if you would enjoy the genre. I look forward to reading more in this series particularly since there are several strong female leads complimented by male counterparts. 

View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge -  Book #
  2. Cravings for a Cozy and Cloak and  Dagger #CloakDaggerChal : Book # 92
  3. Cruising through cozies -  Free choice 36
  4. Medical Examiner-  2 Toe Tag 
  5. Six Shooter- 2nd shot
  6. Beat the Backlist #BeatTheBacklist2020 Book #44
  7. TBR Book #53  #Backlistreader ; #MountTBR2020; #StartOnYourShelfathon

No comments:

Post a Comment