Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Winter in Paradise is just that


Elin Hilderbrand does an amazing job of weaving vivid description of St. John's with great characters and plot development in Winter in Paradise.  I thoroughly enjoyed how the story moved between the different characters and how some of the scenes were viewed from multiple individuals' perspectives.

Hilderbrand does a wonderful job of drawing the reader into the story and the lives of the characters.   I did feel connections to them, with different emotional reactions to different characters. I did not necessarily like Baker Steele and I felt myself rooting for Cash Steele. Overall, I had great sympathy for Irene, Huck, Ayers and Maya.  I found myself greatly disliking Richard Steele and Anna Steele.

The plot line, while a bit unbelievable at first, is feasible especially given today's nomadic business travel and electronic communication.  It does highlight what can happen if we become too caught up in our selves and don't take interest and involvement in others' lives.

The underlying premise of the story does create a mystery aspect to the book and that mystery is part of the cliffhanger for the sequel.  The other aspect that makes me want to read more is to see how the characters fare and to see what their futures hold.    All in all I enjoyed the book and can recommend it.

I must say the book left me wanting to hop on a plane and head to St. John's while reading the next installment in the series. 



Winter in Paradise (Paradise, #1)Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand


I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I really wasn't sure what to expect when I checked the audiobook out from the library. I really enjoyed reading Hilderbrand's descriptions of St. John as well as her storyline. The character development was well done and I appreciated seeing how the different characters interacted and reacted to a specific event they all had in common. I enjoyed how the story moved between different characters and seeing how specific scenes were perceived by each of the characters.

The mystery portion of the story was intriguing and I cannot wait to read the sequel. All in all a great book.


View all my reviews

Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge -  Book #24
  2. Audiobook challenge  Book # 5
  3. Literary Escapes-  St. John's USVI
  4. Alphabet soup Author- #AlphabetSoupAuthorChallenge- "E"
  5. AtoZ and Alphabet soup challenge #AlphabetSoupChallenge- "W"
  6. Wizarding World Tour  possible categories
    • Ilvermorny-  Body Part on the cover
  7. 52 Books in 52 weeks  #10 a Bestseller
  8. Book List Queen #23 A Beach Read
  9. NJM #NJMBookChallenge2020  #24  has a season in its title
  10. Monthly Keyword-  #MonthlyKeyWordChallenge  Mar- "in"
  11. Around the Year in 52 Books- #37  Binary opposites with a book w/ summer or hell in title

No comments:

Post a Comment