Friday, December 3, 2021

Feng Shui Detective

 I selected this cozy to fulfill a prompt about reading book about feng shui.  This is the first in a series by Nury Vittachi.  I enjoyed the book but am not sure I would continue to read the series.  The plot didn't move quickly enough for me a lot of the time.  I also wanted to get to the solution more than I wanted to read the philosophical writings of CW.   The good parts were the interaction between Mr. Wong and his intern-   their exchanges and efforts to understand each other's different language and age dialects were often quite funny.  The story itself was interesting and allows the reader to learn about feng shui and more detailed aspects of Eastern belief systems. This story is mainly set in Singapore but does have a portion of the plot occurring in Sydney.  It was interesting to read about areas and streets I am familiar with from travels to both those cities. If you are looking for a cozy set in a foreign location other than the UK and you like a variety of protagonists- not just single women, this is a good choice.  


The Feng Shui DetectiveThe Feng Shui Detective by Nury Vittachi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

While an enjoyable book with a creative plot, it just did not grab me. I did like the humor in the communication between CW and his young intern. The generational and cultural differences are for some delightful exchanges. The feng shu information was fascinating as I learned much more about the belief system. If you are looking for a cozy set in a foreign country with different cultural aspects this is a good choice

View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  


  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #128
  2. Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021   Book #139
  3. Back List Reader  #Backlistreader  Book #154
  4. Calendar of Crime  #CalendarOfCrime2021   
  5. Cruisin thru Cozies  Free choice #94
  6. Cloak & Dagger  #CloakDaggerChal  Book #131
  7. Craving for Cozies  Book #112
  8. Pick your Poison #9-1 A book about hygge, feng shui, or home harmony 
  9. Monthly Motif #MonthlyMotifGXO  yes mystery
  10. Book Voyage  #bookvoyagechallenge multiple continents
  11. Backpacking Bookworm  #bbReadingChallenge2021  yes new culture
  12. Medical Examiner Challenge 1 Toe Tags


No comments:

Post a Comment