This is the 7th book, by Joann Campbell Slan, in the series involving Kiki Lowenstein and centers around her life as an employee at a St Louis scrapbook store. Most of the installments include many scenes at the store and discuss paper crafting, this one did not have as much. This wraps up a building drama between Kiki and Dettweiler's pasts. Brenda Dettweiler cannot seem to let her ex go and now she is taking it out on Kiki and blaming her for the demise of her marriage; taking no ownership of her fault in the situation. Kiki is also finally getting some resolution in the death of her husband George 5 years before. The story does wrap many of those threads up while introducing more complexity into their lives.
The subplot about Nicci - Anya's friend is a relevant one for today's society and is something that should be discussed more to help those struggling with these demons to find help.
I know many people won't enjoy the heavier topics discussed in the books and this is definitely not in the light and cheery cozy category but I do enjoy this series and look forward to discovering how the next pieces evolve in this ongoing saga.
The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
- Finishing the Series #FinishingTheSeries2021 yes still working through series
- Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021 Book #145
- Back List Reader #Backlistreader Book #160
- Calendar of Crime #CalendarOfCrime2021
- Cruisin thru Cozies Free choice #99
- Cloak & Dagger #CloakDaggerChal Book #136
- Craving for Cozies Book #117
- PopSugar #popsugarreadingchallenge 44. The book on your TBR list with the ugliest cover
- Pick your Poison #24-1 A book that had been on your TBR list more than a year
- Medical Examiner Challenge 3 Toe Tags
- Six Shooter Challenge Target #7 Shot #2