Sunday, March 28, 2021

Survival of the Fritters

 This was a surprisingly involved cozy written by Ginger Bolton.  While many cozy mysteries are light and quick reads, this one read more like a novel.   I don't mean that as an insult to either cozies or this book, just that it felt different.  I read cozies because they are quick and breezy with enjoyable plots.  This one just happened to be a bit deeper with more layers to the plot and the characters.  I felt as though the background on Emily was much more deliberate in the explanation, rather than just coming right out and saying she was widowed and how.  I liked the way the information built not just about the characters but the plot as well.   All in all this was a very good cozy mystery and I am glad I selected it for the WI novel and have now found a series I would like to complete.


Survival of the FrittersSurvival of the Fritters by Ginger Bolton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I thought this was a deeper read than a typical cozy. I mean that in a good way. I love cozies for their light and easy reading aspect. This one just felt more detailed and layered. The author reveals the past of Emily in pieces rather than just blatantly telling the reader the details. I also liked the complexity of the suspects and how even though it seems straightforward there are always families and friends of the accused that get caught up in the crime as well. The friendships that date back to high school are well written and seem as though they will develop with the series. I really enjoyed it and plan to continue with the series.

View all my reviews


  

Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

Possible prompts

I will decide as the year goes along which prompts I use it for on several challenges since it meets multiple criteria within the challenge.

  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #36
  2. Literary Escapes  #LiteraryEscapes  WI
  3. Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021   Book #44
  4. Back List Reader  #Backlistreader  Book #49
  5. Cruisin thru Cozies  #free choice 14
  6. Cloak & Dagger  #CloakDaggerChal  Book #35
  7. Craving for Cozies  Book #29
  8. Pick your Poison #1-4 A book about a cat 
  9. Medical Examiner Challenge  1 Toe Tags
  10. Beachcomber Challenge  
    • Crime Scenes 
      • Row 5
        • Bathtub, shower, bathroom
      • Weapons
        • Row 2 
          • Rock, brick, blunt object
      • Detectives- Georgia Treetor
      • Victims- Emily Westhill/Brent Fyne/Lois 
    • Six Shooter Challenge  Target #58  Shot #1


    No comments:

    Post a Comment