Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge

 This is the fourth Aunty Lee Singaporean Cafe book by Ovidia Yu.   After Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge, there has only been one more book published thus far.  I sincerely hope that the next book is the last in the series as I thoroughly enjoy reading about Aunty Lee and Singapore.  

Aunty Lee is quite a character who uses her age to her advantage while investigating mysteries.  She fully acknowledges she has a nosiness about her especially when she is indulging in investigating a mystery.  As a reader I feel like I am reading about a fun grandmotherly type person.  The mysteries are well structured and this one in particular had several twists.  

I did figure out one of the twists early on and found myself a bit irritated that the characters weren't seeing it when I did.  I realize it was part of the story development but I did find myself getting annoyed at them for not realizing it.  Even though I figured that piece of the mystery out, there were other aspects that were a surprise ending for me as well.

These books do a wonderful job of demonstrating the relationships between different generations of  Singapore residents.  I like how the characters contrast old Singapore with new modern generations and attitudes.  I also appreciate Ms. Yu discusses some of the history of the country and points out some of the drawbacks as well as benefits of the government and cultural structure.  As I have mentioned before I really enjoy reading books set where I have visited and Singapore fits that bill.  I like reading about the Merlion and the food stalls.  These details make the story that much richer and the descriptions enlightening.  

As I mentioned I hope the next book is not the last in the series but even if it is, i am intrigued to try her other series set in 1930s Singapore.  


Aunty Lee's Chilled RevengeAunty Lee's Chilled Revenge by Ovidia Yu
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I always enjoy reading books that provide insight into other cultures. This book delivers on that front as does the whole series. I love the characters in this series as they evoke emotions from me as I am reading. In this particular book I figured out a twist early and it was driving me crazy that Aubrey Lee and Salim couldn’t see what I had figured out. It was darn right annoying in fact. In the end they figure it out and the mystery is wrapped up with a few surprises and explanations for why the guilty did what they did. I hope there’s more in the series but I am not sure if there are more to come or not

View all my reviews



Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  


  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #50
  2. Literary Escapes  #LiteraryEscapes Singapore
  3. AtoZ   #2022AtoZReadingChallenge  #AlphabetSoupChallenge
  4. Alphabet Soup Author Edition #AlphabetSoupAuthorChallenge  O or Y
  5. Finishing the Series   #FinishingTheSeries2022  Series: 29  Book #1
  6. What an Animal Book #33
  7. Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2022   Book #61
  8. Back List Reader  #Backlistreader  Book #50
  9. Cozy Mysteries   #18 AAPI Author
  10. Cruisin thru Cozies  Free choice #40
  11. Cloak & Dagger  #CloakDaggerChal  Book #61
  12. Craving for Cozies  Book #57
  13. Medical Examiner Challenge 3 Toe Tags
  14. Beachcomber Challenge  
    • Crime Scene- hotel room/bathroom/office
    • Weapon- cable ties x2; poison
    • Detectives- Aunty Lee
    • Victims- Vallerie Love; Samantha Kang; Brian Wong
  15. Six Shooter Challenge  Target # 22 Shot #3
  16. Around the Year in 52 Books #18. A book by an Asian or Pacific Islander author
  17. BooklistQueen  #booklistqueenreadingchallenge2022  #18. Asian American & Pacific Islander Author
  18. Bookworm # 40 A book with 5 objects on the cover 
  19. PopSugar #popsugarreadingchallenge #15. A book by a Pacific Islander author
  20. Pick your Poison #32 a book with "aunt" or "uncle" in the title
  21. Book Voyage  #bookvoyagechallenge South Asia- Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment