Friday, May 13, 2022

Assault and Pepper (A Spice Shop Mystery, #1)

 Assault and Pepper (A Spice Shop Mystery, #1) is a new series for me. I have read some of Ms Budewitz's other series the Food Lovers' Village set in Montana. This one was a bit more social conscience undertone for my liking. I did enjoy listening to the story and the mystery was well constructed it is just that at times it felt too much like it was trying to make the reader feel guilty they didn't live in Seattle and that the rest of the country didn't treat people well. Maybe I am just too sensitive to feeling as though we are constantly made to feel guilty for professional and economic success. I do believe all people should be treated respectfully but I don't need my books which I read for escape to be a constant reminder of the political strief in the country.


Assault and PepperAssault and Pepper by Leslie Budewitz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a very well written mystery I did not guess the guilty party u til the absolute end. That being said I just couldn’t give it a 4 star ( I don’t generally give cozies 5 stars). There was something a bit preach about the main character that just didn’t sit well with me. I did listen on audio so maybe it was more in the tone of the narration but I do t think so. I think it was just a bit too much of a feeling like “Seattle is such a progressive and perfect city for how we treat everyone”. As though the no Seattle residents aren’t compassionate. I also found the descriptions of the areas and the Pike Place Market to be confusing rather than providing clarity. This just caused a bit of annoyance and frustration which took away from my enjoyment. As I said, I liked the mystery and I like her Idaho based series so maybe my issue is with the setting

View all my reviews



Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  


  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #42
  2. What an Animal Book #29
  3. Audiobook  #2022AudiobookChallenge  #3
  4. Cruisin thru Cozies  Free choice #33
  5. Cloak & Dagger  #CloakDaggerChal  Book #54
  6. Craving for Cozies  Book #50
  7. Medical Examiner Challenge  1 Toe Tags
  8. Beachcomber Challenge  
    • Crime Scene- street
    • Weapon- poison
    • Detectives- Pepper Reece
    • Victims- Doc Finch
  9. Six Shooter Challenge  Target #14  Shot #3
  10. Nerdy Bookworm  #NerdyBookwormChallengeXO #14  Listen to an audiobook


No comments:

Post a Comment