This is the 2nd installment of the G. Willow Wilson Graphic Novels I have read. Last year for my graphic novel selection I picked Vol 1 of the series. See my review here. I decided to pick the next one in the series for this year as well since it covered several of my topics for different challenges.
I continue to realize I am not the best audience for graphic novels, even though I do enjoy the Marvel movies. I think I just have trouble following the flow of the story line. This plot was a bit confusing for me at times but I also think so of that relates to the fact this is a compilation of several issues of comic books. I do like that there is a strong young female as the lead in the story. The dynamics are especially complex as she is a Muslim teen trying to balance her religious beliefs and constricts with being a typical American teen. I appreciated that she sought the advice of her church leader in this book and came to realize the applicability of his advice.
The target audience is YA for this series and the messages at the end were a bit too "woke" and preachy for my taste at times. I truly hope not all fiction geared toward YA is so pessimistic and fatalistic. I think this is often the message given to them in school as well and I worry about their outlook for their futures. There are many positive aspects of life today versus the past. We have progressed while realizing we can still grow as a nation. This might also explain the popularity of dystopian tomes with that generation as well. I suspect much of it is just this generation's cause and as they take on responsibilities their outlooks may change some and balance the extremes with the possibilities.
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Generation Why by G. Willow Wilson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
great story with a strong teenage girl in the lead character role. I appreciate watching her growth as a person/superhero while enjoying the action. I did find the storyline hard to follow at times, not always certain who was talking but the general idea was readily able to be followed.
View all my reviews
The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
- Library Love #LibraryLoveChallenge Book #12
- Literary Escapes #LiteraryEscapes NJ
- Alphabet Soup Author Edition #AlphabetSoupAuthorChallenge "G"
- 2021TBR #2021ReadingChallenge #13 ya book
- Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021 Book #16
- Back List Reader #Backlistreader Book #19
- PopSugar #popsugarreadingchallenge #24. A book by a Muslim American author
- Around the Year in 52 Books #17. A book with a Muslim character or author
- 52 Book Club #the52bookclub2021 #26 An Author Of Color
- The Unofficial Magnus Archives Challenge #26. Titan: a graphic novel
- BooklistQueen #8. An Author Who Uses Initials
- A Pretty Mess Challenge #6. YA book by author of color
- NJM Book Challenge #NJMBookChallenge2021 #14 with images
- Nerd Daily #NERDREADING2021 #11. RELEASED IN APRIL
- Bookworm #47.) Read a book with the main character of a different ethnicity than you
- Magic in the Books Book 4 #4 Includes a shapeshifter
- Spells and Spaceships Monster Badge
- Pick your Poison #27-3 A comic book
- Bloggers Bookshelf #bloggersbookshelf #1 an unusual format
- Uncorked Reader #UncorkedReading2021 Contemporary Black Author
- 52 books in 52 weeks #19 robot