Wow, this is an impactful memoir by Augusten Burroughs. He manages to write a memoir as though it is a novel. As the reader, I felt like I was right there going through all his experiences with rehab and sobriety. He is very honest about the process and his feelings as he goes through this experience. it is not a light read. This is a very emotional book that has levity interspersed that keeps the book from being too depressing or emotionally wrought. I found myself rooting for his success and stressing as he was faced with tough life moments.
If you have anyone in your circle who has experienced addiction this is a brutally honest insight into what it feels like. I would imagine if you are an addict or a recovering addict this book will hit upon feelings/emotions you have experienced. According to his forward it has touched many lives in positive ways and continues to inspire those struggling through this awful affliction.
Dry by Augusten Burroughs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
A brutally honest memoir about an alcoholic going through rehab and approaching sobriety. Burroughs journaled while in recovery and he shares his experiences forthrightly in this book. Anyone who has a family member or friend who has or does struggle with addiction should read this to gain insight into the honest struggle it takes to push the beast down. There are plenty of emotions in this memoir so be prepared for a roller coaster of a read
View all my reviews
The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
- Library Love #LibraryLoveChallenge Book #17
- Alphabet Soup Author Edition #AlphabetSoupAuthorChallenge "A"
- Beat the Backlist #17 cover features your favorite color prominently
- 2021TBR #2021ReadingChallenge #7 about mental health
- Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021 Book #25
- Back List Reader #Backlistreader Book #28
- Memoir #10. _ Written by a person who identifies as LGBTQIA
- Around the Year in 52 Books #4. A book with a monochromatic cover
- 52 Book Club #the52bookclub2021 #37 An Educational Read
- Nerd Daily #NERDREADING2021 #17. WRITTEN BY A QUEER AUTHOR
- Bookworm #57.) Read a book without a picture on the cover
- Magic in the Books Book 7 #6 Been on your TBR forever
- Pick your Poison #21-4 A nonfiction book about alcohol
- Diversify your reading #DYRC21 Memoir
- 52 books in 52 weeks #3 12 things