This self help book by Rachel Hollis was well written. She hits upon many insecurities that many women suffer through. Her format is to pose it as lies we have come to believe. Each chapter is about a different lie we allow ourselves to believe in over our lives, such as being a working mom, not being organized enough, being a bad mother and many more. She's brutally honest about how she fell into believing them herself and ways to work through them, She speaks as someone who has gone through the self doubt of each of them herself. Rachel works through them and points out how the self talk can be destructive and make us feel as though we are the only ones who feel that way. Her experiences make it clear we are not alone and no matter how successful someone may seem, it doesn't mean they don't share many of the same feelings everyday women do.
I found it easy to relate to many of the issues she discussed and found her suggestions of how she dealt with them (and continues to) relatable. The book is written much like a conversation with a close girlfriend who can commiserate with your concerns. The advice given is applicable to anyone, not just someone who's successful and can hire help to overcome situations.
This book felt as though any woman could gleam some advice and suggestions to help them sleep easier each night. Not every suggestion or topic is for everyone but I think you will find some you relate to and can take advice from.
Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be by Rachel Hollis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was a very relatable book with advice on how to deal with the self doubting talk that many women suffer from today. The format of a chapter per lie we tell ourselves makes it an easy read to break up into small chunks and focus on a little bit at a time. The advice she gives is readily able to be applied to anyone's lives and not just to someone who has the wealth to pay for assistance. I recommend the book if you are looking to make some straightforward changes to your attitude and approach to life
View all my reviews
The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
- AtoZ #2021AtoZReadingChallenge #AlphabetSoupChallenge "G"
- Beat the Backlist #40 black and white
- Mount TBR #MountTBR2021 Book #3
- Back List Reader #Backlistreader Book #14
- Memoir #9 Written by a woman
- Non Fiction Reader #2021ReadNonFic #3 Self Help
- PopSugar #popsugarreadingchallenge #19. A book that discusses body positivity
- Around the Year in 52 Books #47. A non-fiction book other than biography, autobiography or memoir
- 52 Book Club #the52bookclub2021 #33 Featuring Adoption
- The Unofficial Magnus Archives Challenge #24 I Do Not Know You: by an author you’ve never read
- BooklistQueen # 38. Nonfiction New York Times Bestseller
- A Pretty Mess Challenge # 23. Famous author you've never read
- NJM Book Challenge #NJMBookChallenge2021 #2 non fiction book
- Nerd Daily #NERDREADING2021 #41. BODY PART IN TITLE
- Bookworm #6.) Read a book that was recommended to you
- Magic in the Books
- Book 1 #3 Non Fiction