Thursday, August 13, 2020

Tokyo Summer

This novella introduced me to Shig Sato, the Inspector in Tokyo who is featured in a series by Joseph Mark Brewer.  I first found this series through an author email.  I just received a link for this novella and thought it would be a great way to start the series.   Many, if not all, of the other books in the series are available on Kindle Unlimited.

This book begins with Shig Sato turning down a promotion that would lead to him no longer investigating cases, but rather being a manager in the Tokyo police force.  His heart and talent lies with investigating and he is very good at it   The character is introduced as being methodical and successful.   We meet 2 of his colleagues who have worked with him in the past and quite apparently revere him and enjoy working with him.

The novella helps the reader to get a glimpse at these characters and their relationships while solving a high profile crime.   Shig reminds me of a Japanese version of Agatha Christie's Poirot.   He is very thoughtful and introspective.   You want to see how he is solving the case and the clues are explained to you after the guilty party is revealed.  There were several twists and turns while getting to that point as well.

This book does a wonderful job of describing Tokyo and the Japanese culture.  The scenes when Shig takes the train makes you feel as though you are riding on the train with him.   I look forward to reading more of the series and seeing where they lead Shig Sato. 


Tokyo Summer: A Shig Sato Mystery Novella (Shig Sato Mysteries)Tokyo Summer: A Shig Sato Mystery Novella by Joseph Mark Brewer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Enjoyable novella mystery

I enjoyed this novella set in Tokyo. It is a prequel for a bigger series featuring Shig Sato an Inspector in the police

The book was enjoyable and highlighted some of the differences in the Japanese culture from American culture. I have visited Tokyo and went on a business trip in the early 90s so I felt I could relate to the culture and etiquette that might be foreign to those not familiar with the culture

Mr Brewer does wonderfully of describing his characters and it is easy to visualize their interactions with one another.

I enjoyed the storyline and felt it was a concise believable read. It's speed of conclusion did remind me of a TV serial such as Law & Order I do look forward to reading more in the series


View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
  1. Literary Escapes-  Japan
  2. Cravings for a Cozy and Cloak and  Dagger #CloakDaggerChal : Book  #66
  3. Medical Examiner-  1 Toe Tag poison
  4. Six Shooter- 1st shot target 26
  5. Popsugar- #popsugarreadingchallenge #44 set in Japan
  6. Wizarding World Tour  possible categories
    • Koldovstoretz: set in favorite decade 1980s

No comments:

Post a Comment