Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Ms Marvel Vol 1 No Normal

I read this book by G. Willow Wilson for the August Book award prompt for GirlXOXO and because it addressed the prompt to read a graphic novel. 

I found the format difficult to follow and felt I was missing much of the story.   The story jumped around a bit to abruptly for me to find it a smooth read.  This may be due tot he fact this is a compilation of several individual comic editions, but I am not sure.

I did find it well written in terms of addressing what makes someone a hero and how physical attributes though wished for may not always be what they seem.  I appreciated the struggles Kamala went through balancing being a teen and complying to her Islamic roots while wanting to fit into a typical American teen lifestyle.  Also she learns to trust her friends and family as the story evolves.

While I did find the main character to be inspiring and a great model for teen girls, I don't generally like this format.  I would not be interested in reading any additional installments in the series. 


Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No NormalMs. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I enjoyed the book and the diversity of the alter ego for Me Marvel. I had trouble with the flow of the story. Additionally I couldn't understand where she suddenly got her super power from.
I most liked the empowerment of an atypical hero and the perspective of the uncertainty of whether her powers were a good thing or if she didn't want them


View all my reviews

Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge -  Book #82
  2. 52 Books in 52 weeks  #27 comic book
  3. 2020 TBR  #2020TBRReadingChallenge #19 ya book 
  4. TBR Book #  #Backlistreader ; #MountTBR2020; #StartOnYourShelfathon
  5. Monthly Book Award-   #GXOAwardReadingChallenge   Hugo award 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment