Thursday, August 27, 2020

The Woman in Cabin 10

 So,  I have to admit this book kept me up way to late into the night to finish reading it.   I just had to know how it ended.  It was very worth the lack of sleep.   

This was the first book I had read by Ruth Ware and I was a bit worried it would be over rated since so many people have been talking and writing about it.   I am glad it wasn't.   

Ware does a masterful job at weaving the story and clues through out but the ending is quite a shock. The story is told in such a manner that you feel all the stress and anxiety that the main character, Lo, is feeling.   It is easy to believe her but to also readily understand how others doubt the situation as she presents it.  

At first I wasn't totally sure about the opening scenes and their relevance to the story.  Upon finishing the book I think there might have even been more to the apparent random nature of the incident.   Given a similar experience by another prospective guest, I wonder if it is just truly a coincidence or was actually part of the bigger plan to ensure an empty stateroom aboard.  

This story is definitely similar to an Agatha Christie locked room scenario and Ware does a wonderful job of using the closed environment to create suspense and fear.   That being said, she has enough twists to keep you on edge and makes it more pyschological thriller thus keeping the reader from feeling it is too formulaic.    I look forward to reading more of her works in the future.

The Woman in Cabin 10The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware
My rating: 5 of 5 stars 

This book is intense all the way through to the end. The story weaves so many threads and events that generate suspicion on the different passengers and also call into question our narrator, Lo. There is a pretty dramatic surprise that continues to build into more twists. The book seems to wrap up the story but then you cannot help but wonder if there is still more plotting going on. 

Ware tells a story that creates such suspense and drama that you cannot help but feel much of the anxiety and frustration that Lo experiences. All in all the character development and plot are very well written and there is enough of a twist to not feel formulaic 

View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge -  Book #87
  2. Literary Escapes-  Norway
  3. Cravings for a Cozy and Cloak and  Dagger #CloakDaggerChal : Book  #72
  4. Medical Examiner-  2 Toe Tag 
  5. Six Shooter- new target #29
  6. Mystery Bingo
    • Clues:  lipstick
  7. Around the Year in 52 Books- #3 prompted to read because of something you read in 2019
  8. Book List Queen #50 book you saw someone reading
  9. TBR Book #48  #Backlistreader ; #MountTBR2020; #StartOnYourShelfathon

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your review! I have this book in my TBR pile and have not opened it yet. Sounds like a winner! - Rick

    ReplyDelete