Tuesday, August 25, 2020

The Guest List


I found this book by Lucy Foley to live up to all the hype it has been receiving.  I understand why it has remained on the NYT list for a while now.  While it definitely fits into the formulaic locked room made so famous by Agatha Christie, the story keeps you on edge and guessing the entire way through the novel.  Be prepared to want to keep reading as you go through the book. 

Foley does a wonderful job of creating suspicion among her main characters and persuades the reader that maybe a punishment is befitting the victim of the crime.  It is hard not to feel the perpetrator wasn't justified in their actions.   Foley casts a shadow of guilt on many characters and does a wonderful job of tying all the pieces and storylines together.

I have her Hunting Party novel in my TBR shelf and now I cannot wait to read it to see if she has done such a good job with that one as well.

The Guest ListThe Guest List by Lucy Foley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a suspense thriller that keeps you on your edge of the seat and will keep you up late reading. I really enjoyed reading Lucy Foley's latest novel. The format reminds me of Agatha Christie's And Then There were None in the spin on a locked room mystery. Wedding on an island that no one can access due to a raging storm with plenty of mysterious backstories amongst the guests. I like the fomat of flashing back from the present when the crime has occurred to the previous 24 hours. She also tells the story from the perspective of multiple narrators and develops each of their storylines very well. The mystery of who committted the crime and who the victim is continues until the very end. I do appreciate how Foley tied all the pieces together at the end and you cannot help but feel like justice was served even it it wasn't in the purest sense.


View all my reviews



Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge -  Book #86
  2. Cravings for a Cozy and Cloak and  Dagger #CloakDaggerChal : Book  #70
  3. Medical Examiner-  3 Toe Tag

No comments:

Post a Comment