Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Chocolates with a Side of Murder

I decided to take the time to read one of my Kindle Unlimited books that had been sitting in my TBR list for a long while.   This is the first book in the Daley Buzz  series by Meredith Potts.  I found the writing a bit cumbersome at times but all in all I really enjoyed the book.   A bit too much detail in some parts and not enough in the actual mystery solving at times. 

It features a strong female lead, Sabrina, who dabbles in mystery solving while not working as a barista in her family's coffee shop.  Potts does a wonderful job of setting up the series and leaves the underlying back story as a continuing thread and motivation for the main character.  The supporting characters are a good addition and generally play the role they are designed for quite well. 

I look forward to reading more in the series with Caramels with a Side of Murder up next.




Chocolates with a Side of Murder (Daley Buzz Treasure Cove Cozy Mystery Book 1)Chocolates with a Side of Murder by Meredith Potts
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Creative spin on a cozy

I enjoyed reading this book about Sabrina and her sleuthing. I realize this is the first book in the series and Ms. Potts was setting the storyline up including the back story. That being said it felt a bit jumpy at times. There was a bit too much internal reflection by Sabrina during the times she was questioning suspects. It made the story flow less smoothly. It felt a little info groups how it would be light hearted and about food and then the paragraphs of deep introspection would occur. I did enjoy the story and intend to read more of the series
I appreciated that Sabrina was a strong character and there are layers to her personality. Her relate with the other characters add to the story. Particular the twist that she's dating the detective in charge of the case and how they deal with it. I look forward to seeing how the series progresses and resolves the outstanding questions


View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
  1. Cravings for a Cozy and Cloak and  Dagger #CloakDaggerChal : Book  #71
  2. Cruising through cozies -  Free choice 21
  3. Medical Examiner-  1 Toe Tag 
  4. Six Shooter- New target 28 for Meredith Potts
  5. TBR Book #47  #Backlistreader ; #MountTBR2020; #StartOnYourShelfathon

No comments:

Post a Comment