This mockumentary interview style book was an unexpected gem. I really wasn't sure what to expect especially given all the hype the book has received.
Taylor Jenkins Reid did a wonderful job of creating a realistic story of a band from the 70s. It is so realistic if you google you will find just how many people thought they were a real band. The format of interviewing the different band members and telling a retrospective of the bands formation and subsequent dissolution is quite a unique approach and very entertaining.
I listened to the audiobook and can highly recommend that format. Each character is voiced by a different person. This really made it feel like a documentary that you would find on MTV. There are even a few surprise twists at the end. All is all it is a great look at the personalities and dynamics of rock and roll in the 1970s- including all the sex and drugs. Definitely has mature topics that are not camouflaged. I found this to be one of my best reads of the year so far.
Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was an unexpected find and I highly recommend the audiobook for it. The book is written like a biographical interview of band members years after their career. The book is so well developed that it seems like a real band and there are plenty of google searches to show that many feel it is a real band. The style is unique and worked perfectly. It was a book that made me think of the MTV where are they now or rockumentaries. There are times you cannot stand some of the characters and you wish they could get their lives sorted out. It was easy to get invested in the characters and to feel as though they were real people. There are even some twists at the ending that surprise the reader. Highly recommend this book
View all my reviews
The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
- Library Love #LibraryLoveChallenge Book #40
- Beat the Backlist #18 all about the music
- Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021 Book #48
- Back List Reader #Backlistreader Book #54
- Historic Fiction #histficreadingchallenge Book #7
- Around the Year in 52 Books #38. A book related to a word given by a random word generator- Dad
- 52 Book Club #the52bookclub2021 #42 An Epistolary
- The Unofficial Magnus Archives Challenge #21. Piper: music is a plot element
- Bookworm #54.) Read a book that takes place in the 1960s
- Pick your Poison #26-2 A book about self care or recovery
- Diversify your reading #DYRC21 hist fiction
- Audiobook #2021AudiobookChallenge #2