This next installment of the Country Store Mysteries by Maddie Day continues to keep my interest. In this book, Robbie finds herself caught up in another murder investigation when day of snow shoeing leads to finding the body of a man seemingly disliked by everyone who knows him. The ensuing investigation casts suspicion on friends and acquaintances and Robbie must decide if solving the crime is justification for breaking confidences.
The mystery is well written and the guilty party was a surprise although looking back the full set of clues were there. Day does a wonderful job of building characters that are emotionally relatable, whether the reader likes or dislikes them the feelings are present.
I enjoyed how Robbie's other interest of crossword puzzle and puzzle solving in general is incorporated in the book. There is also just enough about her relationship with Abe to make it an interesting aspect of the story without Robbie being portrayed as swooning for a man. Overall I am enjoying the series and plan to continue reading it.
When the Grits Hit the Fan by Maddie Day
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
enjoyable read with lots of side mysteries involved in the story. the character development and relationships continue to build in the series. I liked the fact the guilty party was pretty much a surprise. the author does a great job of mixing the culinary aspects of the story with the actual mystery
View all my reviews
The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
- Library Love #LibraryLoveChallenge Book #44
- AtoZ #2021AtoZReadingChallenge #AlphabetSoupChallenge "W"
- Finishing the Series #FinishingTheSeries2021 Country Store #3
- Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021 Book #52
- Back List Reader #Backlistreader Book #62
- Calendar of Crime #CalendarOfCrime2021
- Cruisin thru Cozies free choice 23
- Cloak & Dagger #CloakDaggerChal Book #46
- Craving for Cozies Book #39
- Monthly Motif #MonthlyMotifGXO yes restaurants
- Medical Examiner Challenge 2 Toe Tags
- Beachcomber Challenge
- Crime Scenes
- Row 2
- Lake or ocean
- Row 3
- Drowning, water, ice
- Detectives- Robbie/Octavia
- Victims- Charles Stilton/ Lovey