Wednesday, April 21, 2021

I Feel Bad about my Neck

 

This is a humorous book by Nora Ephron.  I had not previously read any of her work.  I am happy we had picked this for a book club read as I don't know if I would have otherwise selected this.

The book itself is a series of short chapters organized by topics.  Some of the chapters are Nora's observations on life and some of the daily activities women undertake to stay youthful and stylish.  She definitely pokes fun at her own behaviors in the process.  Other chapters are more specific to episodes in her life and how they can be categorized as different observations/advice.  I enjoyed the fact it is laid out in short chapters so it was easy to start and stop as time permitted.

The book as a whole felt like a download from a mother/grandmother to a young woman who is going off on her own.  Sort of a playbook on the stages of life and how to not get too trapped in the little things.  There was definitely no diva aspect to her tone and stories.   I especially enjoyed her tales involving New York as I spent 4 years living there.  Anyone who has lived in Manhattan knows about the divide between West Siders and East Siders.  Her reference points about Zabars and H&H bagels were spots I can relate to, they were right by my gym when I lived there.  For the record, I never had an 8 room apartment- more like 4 if you count the bathroom :)

I found Ephron's stories to be very enjoyable and decided she is someone I wished I had known.  I can only imagine the energy a dinner with her would have.  I really knew nothing about her until I read the book and found her life fascinating when I read more about her.   I will add some of her other works onto my TBR list for sure.  If you are looking for a light enjoyable read be sure to pick this one up. 


I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a WomanI Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was the first work by Nora Ephron I have read. I really enjoyed the book and how it felt like an advice book from a mother/grandmother to a young woman. The organization of the different life tales into different categories made for a fun read. It is a humorous book you can read in spurts as each chapter is a unique insight.

View all my reviews

  

Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #46
  2. Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021   Book #56
  3. Back List Reader  #Backlistreader  Book #66
  4. Memoir  #15. Written by someone over 40
  5. Non Fiction Reader  #2021ReadNonFic  #4. Essay Collection
  6. Humor  Book #4
  7. 52 Book Club  #the52bookclub2021  #14 Written By An Author Over 65 (When Published)
  8. BooklistQueen   #11. Recommended by a Colleague
  9. A Pretty Mess Challenge # 20. Celebrity memoir
  10. Nerd Daily  #NERDREADING2021 #35. AN EMOTION IN TITLE
  11. Pick your Poison #27-5 A collection of essays
  12. 52 books in 52 weeks  #23 your choice


No comments:

Post a Comment