Sunday, November 1, 2020

The Cold Dish

I selected this  Western by Craig Johnson as a book for my  Popsugar challenge.  This challenge has a prompt to read a Western.   This is definitely not a genre in my go to repertoire. My father would be in heaven with his love for Louis L' Amour but I have not ventured into that area.  I did read the News of the World for book club last year and enjoyed it, too bad it wasn't on our list for this year and could have taken care of this prompt.

My search for a book lead to me to find this novel which is a mystery.  I enjoyed reading about the setting in Wyoming and could picture the landscapes Johnson describes.  The book definitely made me think of the tv series, Yellowstone, while I was reading.  

I found the book ok.  The mystery was very good and had a great surprise ending but I found the writing style to be a bit too descriptive for me.  The book took a while to develop and if it weren't for the challenge I probably would have quit reading before reaching half way in the story.  It is the first book in a series but I don't think I will continue reading the series but who knows what future challenges might lead me to do.


The Cold DishThe Cold Dish by Craig Johnson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars 

This western mystery was slow to start for me but once it got going the story did move along and engage me further. The mystery itself was very well written and a very big surprise as to who was the guilty party. Johnson writes a very descriptive novel and does well at developing his characters and the relationship between Walt and Henry. The dynamics between whites and the Cherokees in WY is depicted well in this story, demonstrating both the distrust and loyal relationships that I am sure exist. 

View all my reviews



Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge -  Book #121
  2. Literary Escapes-  WY
  3. Cloak and  Dagger #CloakDaggerChal : Book # 107
  4. Medical Examiner-  4 Toe Tag 
  5. Popsugar- #popsugarreadingchallenge  #37- a Western
  6. Book List Queen #26- From the 50 States Reading List 

No comments:

Post a Comment