Monday, September 28, 2020

Travels with Walt Disney

 This book by Jeff Kurrti combines 2 of my favorite things in the world.  I am absolutely a lover of all things Disney and then when you combine it with travel I'm in book heaven.  

My family are Disney lovers through and through.  My son visited Disney World before

he had even turned 2.  We visited the parks 2 more times and went on  Disney Cruise before he turned 4.  Yes we love Disney.  Fortunately we all love it was an easy decision to go on vacations there, Disneyland or the high seas. This book was a fun read for me and I really enjoyed looking through all the pictures and reading the stories.  It felt a bit like peering at a Disney family photo album.  Which hits upon another passion of mine, scrapbooking.  So I guess it makes perfect sense why I enjoyed the book.  

I also found the backstory to the author very intriguing.  Much of his career interests me.  We have visited and enjoyed the Disney Family museum in San Francisco.  It is an enjoyable afternoon if you are visiting the city especially if you would also like to visit the Lucas Films campus on the Presidio to see the Yoda fountain.   There are some virtual tours and information on their site  as well.  

Kurrti's background as an Imagineer instrigues me since this has been a desired career for my son since he was in 5th grade.  I plan to research and read more of his works and to share them with my son as he makes plans to head to college in a few years.  

If you would like to spend a casual afternoon looking through photos and reading some anecdotes about the movies, and his family then this a perfect book for you 


Travels with Walt Disney: A Photographic Voyage Around the WorldTravels with Walt Disney: A Photographic Voyage Around the World by Jeff Kurtti
My rating: 4 of 5 stars 

As a Disney lover who also likes to travel this was a very enjoyable read. It was fascinating to read the stories and look at all the wonderful photos that depict this aspect of Disney's life. 

I did find the organization of the book a bit clunky at times but realize why Kurtti organized it the way he did. The theme of the book is travel and he categorized the photos and stories based upon different modes of transportation. This didn't always follow along a chronological path but rather jumped around and that was a bit unsettling for me. Reading the afterword and discovering this book started as a lecture aboard the Disney Cruise Line did add clarity to the organization. 

All in all this is a great book if you are a Disney lover or have a sense of wanderlust. 

View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge -  Book #103
  2. Book List Queen #33- Nonfiction Topic You Love
  3. Monthly Motif   #MonthlyMotifGXO- when text just isn't enough
  4. Historical NonFiction   1st book

No comments:

Post a Comment