Klein does a wonderful job of creating a relatable character in Poppy. Her anxiety and uncertainty of returning to High School and facing the group of mean girls who tormented her and her friends was something many readers can probably relate with. Klein also does a wonderful job of showing Poppy recovering from the death of her husband of 20 years and how she struggles to move forward in her life. Poppy's relationship with her Aunt Ginny is a wonderful show of the strength of family and how willing people can be to help those they love. Aunt Ginny and her senior friends and neighbors provide a bit of comedic relief as well.
Anyone who attended high school in the 1980s will really appreciate this book and the flashbacks it provides to that era. The book made me think of the movie Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion and was an enjoyable read.
I look forward to finishing the rest of the books in the series as soon as I am able.
Class Reunions Are Murder by Libby Klein
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
An enjoyable New cozy series. Fun to watch Poppy McAllister reconnect with her friends and neighbors in Cape May NJ
Poppy is a lovable character struggling to find her way after being widowed. Anyone who remembers HS with some measure of trepidation will enjoy the flashbacks and anxiety associated with class reunions. Cannot wait to read about more of Poppy and her Aunt Ginnys adventures
View all my reviews
Challenge PromptsThe Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
- Library Love #LibraryLoveChallenge - Book #75
- Literary Escapes- New Jersey
- Cravings for a Cozy and Cloak and Dagger #CloakDaggerChal : Book #59
- Cruising through cozies - Free choice 16
- Medical Examiner- 1 Toe Tag
- Six Shooter- 1st shot on Target 21
- Mystery Bingo:
- Clues: perfume; life insurance
- 52 Books in 52 weeks #5 A character who is a senior
- TBR Book #39 #Backlistreader ; #MountTBR2020; #StartOnYourShelfathon