Saturday, July 4, 2020

All Systems Red

This is the first in the Murderbot books by Martha Wells.  I was pleasantly surprised by this novella.   I selected it for a challenge prompt to read a book in a genre you don't normally read.  I am definitely not a science fiction reader but I think I will be trying to read more of this series.  The main character is a non human but definitely seems to show some human like traits at times.  The book actually points our some of the idiosyncrasies of human behaviors at times.  I think I found this book enjoyable because it had elements of a mystery and suspense novel and wasn't just a science fiction story.   I definitely found myself liking and disliking characters based on their actions and behaviors toward the SecBot aka murderbot.  The ending definitely leaves opportunities for furture installments in the series and I am curious to see if they are about the same Bot or different ones of its kind.

If you are looking to try science fiction without a huge commitment this novella is a great choice.


All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)All Systems Red by Martha Wells
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I don’t usually read sci fi but I really enjoyed this book. It’s a great length for getting a feel for the genre without a huge commitment. It had a bit of a mystery/suspense angle to the plot as well. The character interaction was very well done and kept your interest as the reader. Definitely going to check into more of the series


View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge -  Book #69
  2. Cloak and  Dagger #CloakDaggerChal : Book  #54
  3. 52 Books in 52 weeks  #9 set in space
  4. While I was Reading #8   with a non-human narrator
  5. Monthly Book Award-   #GXOAwardReadingChallenge  Locus Award Best Novella 2018
  6. TBR Book #37  #Backlistreader ; #MountTBR2020; #StartOnYourShelfathon

No comments:

Post a Comment