Thursday, March 16, 2023

A Killing by the Sea

 A Killing by the Sea by Kathleen Bridge plays a role in a weird cosmic collision in my life this week.   I have had this book on my TBR list since last year in order to fulfill my Target Practice for my Six Shooter challenge.   I started reading Kathleen Bridge in 2021 when I listened to some audiobooks in her Hamptons Home and Garden series after my eye surgery.  Coincidentally I am having eye surgery again next week to remove scar tissue from that previous procedure.   After reading several of those books I found her By the Sea series set in Florida at an old art deco hotel.   This was the next in the series so I selected it for the Six Shooter challenge this year.  

In a weird twist of irony,  they are preparing for a Hurricane in the story.   During discussions of previous hurricanes to hit the barrier island near Melbourne Beach, they discuss Hurricane Irma.  Oddly enough while indulging in my other pastime, watching cozy mystery shows/movies, I watched an episode of A Death in Paradise on Brit box.   They also had a hurricane episode approaching and again mentioned Hurricane Irma in that storyline as well.  Just a weird coincidence but still enough to get my attention.  

This is an entertaining series if you like watching mysteries and the setting is beautiful on the fictitious St Marie (Guadolope in reality).  Between the book and the tv series, I am certainly craving a beach vacay- without a murder of course.


A Killing by the SeaA Killing by the Sea by Kathleen Bridge
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoy this series so far. There are plenty of characters with quirky personality traits some more annoying than others. Liz’s Great Aunt invites others into her classic hotel like some people take in stray animals. Oh yeah there’s that too. Barnacle Avon the parrot is great for some levity and the pompous Susannah is good for eye rolls. The mystery is well constructed with multiple suspects and motives. Even when you think you know who the why is mysterious. Looking forward to watching Liz and Ryan’s relationship develop. There is an authenticity to their budding relationship with misunderstandings and learning to trust


View all my reviews  


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Goodreads and Reading by the Numbers #ReadingByNumbers2023 Book #  
  2. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #   31
  3. Stacking the Series  #stackingseries2023 2
  4. Series Catchup #seriescatchup2023 1
  5. What an Animal Book #11
  6. Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2023   Book #33
  7. Back List Reader  #Backlistreader  Book #28
  8. Cruisin thru Cozies  Free choice #12
  9. Cloak & Dagger  #CloakDaggerChal  Book #30
  10. Craving for Cozies  Book #26
  11. Six Shooter Challenge  Target #12  Shot #5
  12. Medical Examiner Challenge  2 Toe Tags
  13. Around the Year in 52 Books #23. A book with a body of water in the title
  14. HP Quidditch 23 #47 Starfish Stick: Related to the sea
  15. Nerd Daily #thenerddaily #nerdreading2023 #6. TITLE STARTS WITH 'K' OR 'N'
  16. Pick your Poison  # 29 A book with a pair of slippers on the cover
  17. Sci and Nature # 38 About a Natural Disaster 
  18. Unruly Reader Bingo  #5 Recess
  19. Read Around the US   Florida- March

No comments:

Post a Comment