Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Where'd You Go Bernadette

 


Where'd You Go, BernadetteWhere'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Complex and entertaining

This book was bit different than I expected. I enjoyed the story and the complexities of the characters. I felt the author captured the quirkiness of an artistic soul quite well in Bernadette. The book illustrated the different takes on the same situations by different people quite well.
The reason I didn’t find it a 5 star is I found the storyline a little too erratic at times even when you realize who the narrator is it still felt a bit disjointed. Additionally there were a bit too many exaggerated stereotypes going on at times. While I do appreciate the factual descriptions of Antarctica, Seattle and Microsoft there were instances where it felt like every stereotype about techies and artists and private schools was a bit over the top. This did not keep me from enjoying the book at all, just from making it a 4 or 5 star read.

View all my reviews



Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  


  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #79
  2. Literary Escapes  #LiteraryEscapes  WA
  3. Beat the Backlist #BTB2021  #38 from your 2020 backlist
  4. Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021   Book #86
  5. Back List Reader  #Backlistreader  Book #99
  6. Humor  Book #6

No comments:

Post a Comment