Friday, December 4, 2020

X Marks the Scot

This is the 11th Liss MacCrimmon mystery by Kaitlyn Dunnett.   This is the first entry in the series for me though.  I selected it in order to complete a book with an X in the title for my A to Z reading challenges. Thus, the reason I read a series out of order.  I generally prefer to read series in order just in case the later books reveal information about a previous mystery.  Fortunately there really weren't any giveaways in the book.  

It was an enjoyable read set in Maine based around a Scottish storefront.   Liss and her Aunt travel to Canada to Nova Scotia during the story so that was an enjoyable locale change.   I liked the book well enough but it isn't my favorite for the year.  At times it felt like the timeline was a bit off, things happening really close together and then other things having been in the longer past.  It didn't detract from the mystery itself which was well written, it just made it not as smooth a read as I would have hoped.  I may try other books in the series in the future, really depends on which ones are available at the library.  



X Marks the ScotX Marks the Scot by Kaitlyn Dunnett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars 

3 and a half stars Good cozy mystery. Enjoyable characters and a good mystery. At times it felt a little jumpy rather than a smooth read. I read this as the first book I read in the series and it wasn’t really a problem. I think I might have followed the character relationships a bit better if I had read the previous stories in the series. I will probably go back and read more in the series 

View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge -  Book #130
  2. AtoZ and Alphabet soup challenge #AlphabetSoupChallenge-  "X"
  3. Cravings for a Cozy and Cloak and  Dagger #CloakDaggerChal : Book # 111
  4. Cruising through cozies -  Free choice #50
  5. Medical Examiner-  1 Toe Tag 
  6. Six Shooter- New Target 49

No comments:

Post a Comment