Tuesday, November 9, 2021

The English Breakfast Murder

 This is the 4th book in the Tea Shop Mysteries.  This is the one series of Laura Childs that I am not caught up on reading all of the books.  I think I have put this series off more because I know I am quite behind and the scrapbooking ones will always get extra attention from me since that is another passion of mine.  This is a great series if you enjoy Southern hospitality and especially learning about tea and tea blends.  There are strong female characters in this series that contrast well with the male characters.  I appreciate that Theodosia is not all about her relationship with Jory, but rather is a bit of a side story.  Often cozies seem to get caught up a bit too much in the romance and minimize the strength of their female detectives.   My only complaint with this book was the ending felt a bit unsettled.  I didn't walk away with a clear sense of closure despite knowing who the guilty party was.  I still will keep working on the series and hope to catch up on them by the end of 2022.  



The English Breakfast MurderThe English Breakfast Murder by Laura Childs
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I always enjoy the different series by Laura Childs. For some reason this one just read a bit slower than many of the cozies and felt a bit disjointed. It may be due to the fact it is an early book in the series and the characters and relationships are being introduced and developed. I like the characters that work in the Indigo Tea Shop and appreciate their quirkiness and differences. I think I just felt a bit unsatisfied at the end. The guilty party was identified but there wasn't any real recap of the how and even the why was a bit ambiguous to me. I like the series though and will continue to read this along with her other series.

View all my reviews



Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #119
  2. Literary Escapes  #LiteraryEscapes  South Carolina
  3. Finishing the Series   #FinishingTheSeries2021  series 42 book 1
  4. Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021   Book #129
  5. Back List Reader  #Backlistreader  Book #143
  6. Cruisin thru Cozies  Free choice #86
  7. Cloak & Dagger  #CloakDaggerChal  Book #123
  8. Craving for Cozies  Book #104
  9. Monthly Motif #MonthlyMotifGXO  In the Library with the candlestick
  10. Medical Examiner Challenge 1 Toe Tags
  11. Beachcomber Challenge  
    • Crime Scenes 
      • Row 1
        • Boat
    • Weapons
      • Row 5
        • Hands or fists
    • Detectives- Theodosia/Drayton
    • Victims- Harper Fisk
  12. Six Shooter Challenge  Target #1  Shot #5


No comments:

Post a Comment