Thursday, February 6, 2020

Nine Perfect Strangers

I listened to the audiobook for Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty and thoroughly enjoyed it.  My Goodreads review is below.   One aspect of the book I didn't write in my review had to do with how I visualized the character Masha.   
I couldn't help but see the character Edna, from The Incredibles in my mind whenever her character spoke in the story.  The voice the narrator used was a cross between  Edna's and Gru's (from the Minions)  to my ears.  Thus, I kept seeing Edna each time the narration switched to Masha's perspective.  Created quite a few moments of chuckling I must say.  I enjoyed the book and would like to try other Liane Moriarty books going forward.






Nine Perfect StrangersNine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty


I found this book to be a rather interesting read. I know several of the reviews I read prior to reading the book thought there was no point to the book, but I disagree. It was a book that caused the reader to do some self reflection. The premise of silence during their retreat lead to a natural evolution to hearing the characters inner voices without seeming out of context. I could see many aspects of myself in several of the characters. I definitely could relate to Francis' self conversation and her second guessing. I enjoyed the style of the novel where there was a timeline moving the story along, but Moriarty jumps from character to character for the perspective of the story. It made for an interesting progression of the storyline and enabled flashbacks to occur. I also appreciated the flashes forward at the end to see where the characters end up and to get a glimpse of their relationships post their visits to the spa.


View all my reviews

Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this title for are:

Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book 13

Literary Escapes  (Destination)  Visited: Australia

AtoZ and Alphabet Soup #AlphabetSoupChallenge "N"

PopSugar #popsugarreadingchallenge #40  Fav Past Popsugar prompt-  It fits 2019 Book representing different Points of View

NJM Book Challenge  #NJMBookChallenge2020 #21 a book nominated for an award

Wizarding World Tour

  • Durmstrang:  Read a book that involves a secret


52 Books in 52 Weeks #22  A character that frustrates you

Around the Year in 52 Books #28 A book by an Australian, Canadian or New Zealand author

BooklistQueen #31 an Audiobook


Possible prompts

I will decide as the year goes along which prompts I use it for on several challenges since it meets multiple criteria within the challenge.

1 comment:

  1. I would love a book where the narration made me think of Edna! Great review :) Thanks so much for sharing it.

    Happy reading!
    Megan | Ginger Mom & Company

    ReplyDelete