Thursday, May 25, 2023

7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle has been on my TBR list for a while.  I intended to read it last year and never got to it.  I started out reading it and then when I needed to drive to Chicago every day in April I decided to try this one as an audio.  I thoroughly enjoyed the proper British accent of the narrator.  It definitely added to the mood and setting the environment.  

This book was one of the most creative I have ever read.  It is hard to explain but it is a sort of a time loop with different hosts to the narrator in each section.  From the get-go as a reader you figure there is a twist to the story but I had no idea it was going to be what it was.   I definitely felt as though Turton was paying homage to Dante and the rings of Hell.  I really ended up enjoying this book once I got involved in it.  For those struggling to read the book and stay engaged, stick it out, it is worth it in the end!




The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn HardcastleThe 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a very creative thriller/mystery. For those who love a puzzle when they are reading this will be a real treat. The only reason I did not give this a 5 star is the difficulty getting engaged at the beginning of the book. I promise it is worth sticking it out. If you really get stuck, try it in audio format- the British accent will win you over and keep you listening. At times it can be confusing to keep all the characters straight but eventually it all makes sense.

View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Goodreads and Reading by the Numbers #ReadingByNumbers2023 Book #  
  2. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #   54
  3. Audiobook  #2023AudiobookChallenge 14
  4. Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2023   Book #59
  5. Back List Reader  #Backlistreader  Book #49
  6. Cloak & Dagger  #CloakDaggerChal  Book #51
  7. Medical Examiner Challenge 12 Toe Tags
  8. Historic Fiction  #histficreadingchallenge   Book #5
  9. 52 Book Club  #the52bookclub2023  #37 Written in Present Tense
  10. Around the Year in 52 Books #40. A book with a full name in the title
  11. Beat the Backlist #BTB2023  #16 here there be monsters
  12. HP Quidditch 23 #7 Bludger: A book you think will knock your socks off (or off your broom!)
  13. Nerdy Bookworm  #NerdyBookwormChallengeXO #26. Read a book that has time travel in it
  14. Nerd Daily #thenerddaily #nerdreading2023 #50. HISTORICAL OR FANTASY
  15. PopSugar #popsugarreadingchallenge #43 A book that takes place entirely in one day
  16. Pick your Poison  # 134 A book with a chess piece on the cover
  17. Sci and Nature # 12 That Plays With Time:
  18. Uncorked Reader #UncorkedReading2023 #24 Takes Place In A Day
  19. Beyond the Bookends  January- Read a book coming to the screen in 2023
  20. Monthly Motif #MonthlyMotifGXO   May In  it to Win It

No comments:

Post a Comment