Monday, October 25, 2021

Steampunk Poe

 This is the first book I have ever truly DNF'd.   There have been other books I lost interest in and set aside to never have picked up again yet, but this one I made a conscience decision to stop reading.  I had selected this book to meet a prompt regarding steampunk.  I am still glad I did so as I thoroughly enjoyed looking through the book at all the illustrations.  I just could not adjust to Poe's reading style.  I tried several of the stories- Tell Tale Heart (reread),  The Masque of the Red Death, The Fall of the House of Usher and the poem the Raven.   I just struggled to read the language and finally decided to stop instead of forcing myself through the book just because it's a classic author and a book I picked up at the library.  Boy did it feel good to make that decision.




Steampunk: PoeSteampunk: Poe by Edgar Allan Poe
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I must admit I ended up DNF thins book. I just could not get past the formal old style of writing. I tried reading 3 stories and several poems but just found myself not enjoying the reading. I gave this a 3 star because the steampunk illustrations were wonderful. I found myself lingering over the drawings and really seeing them relate to the stories Poe wrote. If you enjoy the classics and Poe this is a book worth checking out

View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  


  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #110
  2. Beat the Backlist #BTB2021  #49 written in verse
  3. 2021TBR  #2021ReadingChallenge #  9 a classic 
  4. Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021   Book #117
  5. Back List Reader  #Backlistreader  Book #131
  6. Historic Fiction  #histficreadingchallenge   Book #13
  7. BooklistQueen   #9 Poetry
  8. Monthly Motif #MonthlyMotifGXO  - Shadow/ black cover
  9. 52 books in 52 weeks  #3-4 steampunk


No comments:

Post a Comment