Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Fish Out of Water

 This was a fun new cozy mystery by Marc Jedel.  I came across this book in Kindle Unlimited and decided to give it a go.  I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and the mystery.   In a genre filled with single women as the central amateur detectives, this book veers on a different course.  Jedel, created a married couple as the center of the story.  He takes it one step further by alternating voices as the narrator; switching between the husband and wife. This made for a very enjoyable book since the 2 characters are very different personalities so the different perspectives where generally very obvious.  Occasionally, I would forget who the "I" was in the storyline and have to check for the heading at the beginning of the chapter but usually it was unnecessary.   

The mystery itself was well developed and the criminal was not revealed until the end as the story intended.  I look forward to reading more in the series as well as trying the Silicon Valley based series by the author as well.  

Fish Out of WaterFish Out of Water by Marc Jedel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this cozy. The mystery structure was well written and complex with multiple layers. Plenty of disagreeable characters that lead to many suspects. I think the thing I liked most though was the characters. Instead of a single woman recovering from some relationship tragedy this book is about Elizabeth and Josh, a married couple. The point of view alternates between the two and makes a unique take on the cozy mystery genre. I really look forward to reading more in the series

View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Literary Escapes  #LiteraryEscapes  AR
  2. Back List Reader  #Backlistreader  Book #
  3. Calendar of Crime  #CalendarOfCrime2021   
  4. Cozy Mysteries   #3 male author
  5. Cruisin thru Cozies  Free choice #77
  6. Cloak & Dagger  #CloakDaggerChal  Book #113
  7. Craving for Cozies  Book #95
  8. Medical Examiner Challenge  1 Toe Tags
  9. Beachcomber Challenge  
    • Crime Scenes 
      • Row 4
        • Street or sidewalk
    • Weapons
      • Row 2 
        • Rock, brick, blunt object
    • Detectives- Elizabeth/Josh
    • Victims- Duncan
  10. Six Shooter Challenge  Target #74  Shot #1


No comments:

Post a Comment