Sunday, April 10, 2022

A Safe House

 Given this is the 61st book in the Stone Barrington series by Stuart Woods I am not surprised it is formulaic and predictable.   This was the first and probably the last time I read it as an audiobook.  I did not care for the narrator's portrayal of Dino Bacchetti's voice. It was far too nasally, and I have lived in NYC so I am familiar with NY accents, this was an over the top nasal twang.  

  The other aspect of this book that I did not care for was the level of stupidity the characters portrayed.  Bill Eggers the managing partner of the law firm Stone works for was made to sound like a bumbling idiot.  The choices Stone and Jenna (his client) make regarding entrance to properties where they are staying are pathetic considering they are being pursued by individuals looking to kill them both.  

I don't read these novels for intellectual stimulation or hard hitting thoughts, but this particular installment was darn right annoying.  I will not be rushing to check out the next Stone Barrington entry anytime soon.




A Safe House by Stuart Woods
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book is about on par with the others in the series in terms of plot complexity and predictability. At least Stones’s bedroom antics are monogamous in this book. It was full of globetrotting to his different homes while trying to outrun a hired gun of an angry ex. I really am giving this a 2.5 because I did not care for how dumb Bob Eggers was portrayed. He was made to be a bumbling idiot vs successful law partner. Also the ludicrous behaviors of Stone and Jenna in light of attempted murders of both of them were ridiculous. I know someone is pursuing me but I’m going to buzz them into my office unattended. Come on. Also I listened to the audio book for this and I did not care for the portrayal of Dino Bacchetti’s voice. It rubbed me the wrong way.
If you want a mindless thriller that you can get lost in for a day or 2 then this will meet that requirement don’t read it for hard hitting storylines or literary value

View all my reviews


   

Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  


  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #29
  2. Literary Escapes  #LiteraryEscapes  ME
  3. Finishing the Series   #FinishingTheSeries2022  Series: 11 Book #2
  4. Audiobook  #2022AudiobookChallenge  #2
  5. Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2022   Book #40
  6. Cloak & Dagger  #CloakDaggerChal  Book #43
  7. Medical Examiner Challenge  3 Toe Tags
  8. Beachcomber Challenge  
    • Crime Scene- car; home office; bedroom
    • Weapon- car bomb; gun
    • Detectives- stone barrington; dino bacchetti
    • Victims- Jamie Jacoby; Wallace Slade; Harley Quince
  9. Six Shooter Challenge  Target # 5 Shot #4
  10. Around the Year in 52 Books #51 A book published in 2022
  11. Bookworm #30 Read a Revenge Story
  12. BooklistQueen  #booklistqueenreadingchallenge2022  #29. An Audiobook
  13. Nerdy Bookworm  #NerdyBookwormChallengeXO #7 Thriller novel 
  14. Nancy Drew #5. The Secret of Shadow Ranch (1931) - read a book with horses in the story
  15. Pick your Poison #23 a suspense novel
  16. Diversify your reading #DYRC22  April: Mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment