This second book in the cozy series by Ovidia Yu is again set in Singapore. Aunty Lee and Nina are now partnering with Cherrill to provide catering and dining experiences complemented by Cherrill's drink menu. Unfortunately their first outing to cater for Mabel Sung did not end with a happy customer.
After being falsely accused of food poisoning and thus having her restaurant shut down, Aunty Lee sets out to determine what really happened at the party. Once again she works with Detective Salim and her friend the Chief Inspector Raja to dig into the murder and finds herself mixed up in a much bigger international crime ring.
I enjoy the character of Rosie Lee and the others in her close group of friends. I like how Ms. Yu reflects Singaporean life and addresses some of the subtle cultural and governmental differences from the United States. The country is made up of a diverse group of ethnicities and these books highlight that, both the good and the bad aspects of the culturally rich nation. I look forward to reading more of Aunty Lee's adventures and hope they continue for a while.
Aunty Lee's Deadly Specials by Ovidia Yu
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Love Aunty Lee and her personality
MS You does a wonderful job of capturing the people and diverse culture of Singapore. Her characters in this mystery represent many of the cultures and DC lasses found in that society. Aunty Lee "s ability to read people while feeding them is a wonderful quality. The mystery itself is quite engage some and has many twists and turns
View all my reviews
The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
- Literary Escapes #LiteraryEscapes Singapore
- Alphabet Soup Author Edition #AlphabetSoupAuthorChallenge "Y"
- Finishing the Series #FinishingTheSeries2021
- Mount TBR #MountTBR2021 Book #11
- Back List Reader #Backlistreader Book #70
- Calendar of Crime #CalendarOfCrime2021
- Cruisin thru Cozies free choice 33
- Cloak & Dagger #CloakDaggerChal Book #57
- Craving for Cozies Book #49
- Magic in the Books
- Book 4 #5 Read an own voice book
- Crime Scenes
- Row 4
- Hotel room
- Swimming pool, spa, jacuzzi
- Row 5
- Row 1
- Poison, poisoned food
- Row 3
- Free square- medical transplants
- Drowning, water, ice
- Row 4
- Push or fall