This is the second Candy Coated mystery by Nancy Coco set on Mackinaw Island. The descriptions of the island, its history and the characters make for a wonderful story. It is easy to envision the friendship and support Allie McMurphy receives while running her family hotel, the McMurphy, for her first full season on island. The small town feel is also captured well. I really have a desire to visit there soon.
The mystery itself is a wonderful story and it is amazing how Ms. Coco blends a story about a reality show that is crossed with a murder that sounds like it is out of Fargo. There are numerous moments of levity and Allie's attempts to date are a charming side note as well.
The descriptions of the fudge making and story telling are fascinating reads. It is easy to imagine the smells of the fudge and the lilac flowers the story centers around. I look forward to reading more of Allie's adventures and hope we find out the outcome of the reality contest as well.
To Fudge or Not to Fudge by Nancy CoCo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
It is so easy to envision the smells of lilac and fudge when reading this cozy set on Mackinaw Island. Allie McMurphy is working her first season at the McMurphy hotel on island but unfortunately keeps getting caught up in mysteries. This book is full of funny scenes with canine characters, family and reality tv drama. As crazy as these all sound Nancy Coco makes the story work well. It is easy to become invested in wanting to see Allie succeed. I look forward to reading more about her and Jenn's adventures at the hotel and on the historic island
View all my reviews
The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
- Library Love #LibraryLoveChallenge Book #63
- Literary Escapes #LiteraryEscapes MI
- Finishing the Series #FinishingTheSeries2021 Candy Coated Mysteries #2
- Alphabet Soup Author Edition #AlphabetSoupAuthorChallenge "N"
- Beat the Backlist #4 purple cover
- Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2021 Book #69
- Back List Reader #Backlistreader Book #82
- Calendar of Crime #CalendarOfCrime2021
- Cruisin thru Cozies Free choice #41
- Cloak & Dagger #CloakDaggerChal Book #66
- Craving for Cozies Book #57
- Nerd Daily #NERDREADING2021 #34. AUTHOR STARTING WITH N
- Medical Examiner Challenge 3 Toe Tags
- Beachcomber Challenge
- Crime Scenes
- Row 1
- Pathway or forest
- Bathtub, shower, bathroom
- Row 1
- Poison, poisoned food
- Row 2