Friday, April 10, 2020

Astrophyics for People in a Hurry

I was truly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.  I listened to this audiobook which was narrated by the author.  Neil deGrasse Tyson is a wonderful narrator.  I found this book to be engaging and funny.  The material can be heavy at times but with a basic understanding of atoms, light waves and general chemistry you can follow his discussions.   

I selected this book based upon recommendations in several of my reading groups I have joined this year.  I picked it as the book I read on a topic I know nothing about.  I had a very basic understanding of astronomy and a recent refresh of particle and light wave concepts from helping my HS son study for chemistry.  Neil deGrasse Tyson does a great job of making the subject interesting and engaging.  My only caution is to be sure you can focus on the text as you listen as often times I found myself drifting and having to go back.  This is not a book you can just drop back in on after missing a sentence or 2.  

I can recommend this book if you are at all interested in space, the evolution of our universe or general desire to expand your knowledge



Astrophysics for People in a HurryAstrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I really enjoyed listening to this audiobook. The author is the narrator and he did a great job of making it understandable and fun. He does not make it too difficult to understand, rather he explains things in a way that people with a basic understanding of particles, light and wave concepts and general chemistry can follow along. It is necessary to be able to focus on the story though as it is not a book you can tune out and then drop back in without losing the gist of the topic. I think this is a book it could be beneficial to read the book versus listening to it. It might be easier to go back to reread a section that you didn't follow initially. But, if you do this, you miss out on a wonderful narration by the author



View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:
  1. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge -  Book #34
  2. Audiobook challenge Book #6
  3. Popsugar- #popsugarreadingchallenge #18 on a subject you know nothing about
  4. Around the Year in 52 Books- #21 A book related to Maximilian Hell, the noted astronomer and Jesuit Priest who was born in 1720
  5. 52 Books in 52 weeks  #28 Title beginning with A
  6. Book List Queen #18- New York Times #1 Bestseller
  7. Wizading World Tour  possible categories

No comments:

Post a Comment