Friday, June 23, 2023

Demon Copperhead

 Demon Copperhead is the 2nd book by Barbara Kingsolver that I have read.   The first was Poisonwood Bible many years ago.  I do remember enjoying that book very much.  I liked the writing and the character development in Demon Copperhead but due to the heavy and depressing nature of the story, I ended up DNFing it as I just couldn't take the sadness at this point in my life.  We are dealing with some serious health situations with my husband and I just don't want to read books that are depressing and make me any more upset than my current life is.  I only read this book because it was a selection for my book club and wanted to try to complete the June book but just ended up getting a synopsis of the ending from a fellow member.  

I gave the book a 3 star rating because I did think it was a well-written adaptation of David Copperfield and the characters certainly grabbed my emotions.  


Demon CopperheadDemon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

while the book is good and the characters well developed and easily to show empathy toward most of them I had to DNF this book as the topic was far too heavy and unsettling for me to read at this point. I was reading it for our book club selection and just couldn't bring myself to finish it entirely For those looking for a book with serious topics and great character development this is a good book. It highlights how so many of the horrific aspects of society- drug use/ under education/ failure by the system is very socio-economic in nature.

Trigger warnings:
Drug Additction/ Domestic Violence/ Neglect


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

  1. Goodreads and Reading by the Numbers #ReadingByNumbers2023 Book # 76 
  2. Library Love  #LibraryLoveChallenge  Book #   64
  3. Audiobook  #2023AudiobookChallenge 15
  4. Virtual Mount TBR #VirtualMountTBR2023   Book #69
  5. Beat the Backlist #BTB2023  #25 standalone
  6. Nerdy Bookworm  #NerdyBookwormChallengeXO #12.  Goodread's 2022 Winner or Nominee
  7. Nerd Daily #thenerddaily #nerdreading2023 #25. SUN, MOON OR STARS ON COVER
  8. PopSugar #popsugarreadingchallenge #49 The longest book (by pages) on your TBR list
  9. Pick your Poison  # 27 A book with a toy on the cover
  10. Sci and Nature # 18 Element from the Periodic Table in the Title:
  11. Beyond the Bookends  August- Read a book about the impact of poverty


No comments:

Post a Comment