Friday, January 1, 2021

Nazi Officer's Wife

 I have been intending to read this book for quite a while.   My mother has been recommending it for quite some time.   This piece of non-fiction reads a lot like a historical fiction novel.  I think I especially related to the book after assisting my son to study for modern world history last school year.  I learned more about the Russians and Bolsheviks than I had previously known.  This book talks about the Kristallnacht as a real experience, not just a concept.  It was quite interesting to read about history in first hand rather than by history books.  

I found it amazing how the German citizens were only provided news and stories that presented the Reich in a positive manner.  It is amazing how unaware they were to what was going on during the war.  I must admit it does give me a bit of a fear when the news media in the US seems to be reporting narratives rather than facts in the current era.  It seems like it would be very easy to have a similar experience here today if citizens did not chose to listen to both sides of the narratives and other countries perspectives as well. 


The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the HolocaustThe Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust by Edith Hahn Beer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars 

This story is amazing and is written like a historical fiction novel. Edith Beer provides an enlightening account of her experiences living as a Jew in Germany during WWII. Her story vividly describes the experiences and emotions she and others like her experienced during that horrific time. There are some amazing revelations of how in the dark the Germans were about what was going on around the world. 

View all my reviews


Challenge Prompts

The Challenge Prompts I will use this for are:  

    1. Literary Escapes-  Austria
    2. 52 Books in 52 weeks  #16- Borrowed from a friend
    3. Book List Queen #25-  Recommended by a Family Member 
    4. 20 in 20 #Read20in2020 NF #18 a wartime book
    5. Beat the Backlist #BeatTheBacklist2020  book rec from a friend
    6. 2020 TBR  #2020TBRReadingChallenge #4 friend recommendation 
    7. TBR Book # 58  #Backlistreader ; #MountTBR2020; #StartOnYourShelfathon
    8. Memoir    #16 Written by someone from a country different from your own
    9. Historical NonFiction  Book #4

    No comments:

    Post a Comment